[CWG-Stewardship] Question re fiduciary duties and separation

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Tue Sep 1 16:45:21 UTC 2015

Hi,

Look at how long it took for the NTIA to have a rebid.  And there is
nothing in the separation function that prohibits doing a bid at a point
in the process.  In fact it is quite specific about a bid and the
possibility the the current PTO could bid again.

My hope though, is that just the act of getting the machinery cranked
up, would be enough of a threat to cause ICANN to try to fix any
problem.  But if it didn't, I predict it would take about as long as it
took the NTIA, with its call for comments on how to do it &c.  We also
have to take into account the reactions and actions from Numbers and
Protocols at the time of any separation preparation - that would take
some time.  I think the reference solution strikes the balance between
changing over too easily and not being able to change over at all.

avri