[CWG-Stewardship] Proposed Footnote to inclusion of ICANN as potential signatory on behalf of Names Community

Kavouss Arasteh kavouss.arasteh at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 13:14:01 UTC 2016

Dear  Co Chairs,

You were selected or elected  to lead the process of CWG

You need and even required to fulfill your responsibilities and obligations

You cannot decide on rush on something which crucial, fundamental and legal

The issue of signatories to the agreement 8 a legally binding document )
must be legally addressed and legally valid

The signatories must have legal status or to be legal entity

Names Community is not a legal entity and thus does not have legal status

A signatory to the agreement while it signs the agreement is legally
responsible to discharge its responsibility at every and all stages of a
long term agreement up to and including standing at any court

In order  that names community  be able to sign the agreement there are two
options

Option 1

It should establish an unincorporated association among the various players
to provide it the legal status

Option 2

To delegate its authority and responsibilities on not only sign the
agreement but rendering its rights and obligation during the validity
period of the agreement to another entity ,such as ICANN either represented
by its Board  or its President and Chief Executive officer .

To do so CWG which currently performing the required tasks expected form
Names Community must formally ask ICANN IF IT IS READY TO ACT AS DESCRIBED

To this effect

   1.

   The draft of the text of the request must be discussed and approved
   by/in a CWG call.
   2.

   The text must be prepared as a draft letter to be a) approved by the
   entire CWG ( to be put 7 posted on CWG web site or CWG mailing for comment
   from the entire group , if any and b) finalized  by inclusing of the
   comments, if any .
   3.

   The definitive text as approved should be signed by Co –Chairs and sent
   to ICANN Board, together with the terms and condition associated with such
   delegation of responsibilities and obligations. This latter part  may be
   postponed for the time being after receiving public comments
   4.

   ICANN Board needs to formally reply to the request indicating that it
   accepts the request and fully and unconditionally agreed to the terms and
   conditions associated with such delegation of authorities and
   responsibilities

Consequently, it is inappropriate to undermine the importance of this very
delicate and legal matter and by cut and paste rushing to shortcut the
process.

Please be aware that you are not expected to breach, contravene, infringe
and contradicts the process as legally required .

Some people oppose to my valid point and categorize it as minority view

That is inappropriate.

We must properly examine the matter, analyses the situation and decide
appropriately
I remind you once again to be prudent, responsive and accountable .
If you are not in a position to act and proceed as proposed, YOU ARE KINDLY
REQUESTED TO RECORD THESE COMMENTS AS MY FORMAL PUBLIC COMMENTS AND ADVISE
THE SECRETARIAT TO INSERT IT IN THE CORRESPONDING COLUMN UNDER PULIC
COMMENTS

Regards

Kavouss