[CWG-Stewardship] ICANN-PTI Services Agreement

Paul M Kane - CWG paul.kane-cwg at icb.co.uk
Tue Aug 30 19:35:49 UTC 2016

Hi Chris

(sorry for the delay I need to consult with the ccTLDs that raised the issue
with me first).  Sidley tried to capture the legal language in their Annex C
paper - it may not have been perfect but it was a good attempt.

I don't think it is new ... nor late (just forgotten) .... and everything to do
with PTI/ICANN.

It would be sensible to capture the different responsibilites expected from
ICANN/PTI at this time especially as the current Section 3 i c ii of the draft
of the Naming Agreement is incorrect.

1591 pre-dates ICANN and (some) ccTLDs have an opt-out from having to be
impacted by ICANN Policy which has been enshrined and respected in ICANN's own
Bylaws since day 1. (ARTICLE IX, Section 4, Clause 10).

Others, like AU have formal agreements with ICANN (not dis-similar to the early
gTLD) that outlines the roles and responsibilities

Others fall in between the two with and exchange of letters that define the
limited role ICANN has and stipulate the role ccTLD Registries have in serving
their communities.

Best

Paul