[CWG-Stewardship] Proposed Principal Terms of IANA Intellectual Property Agreements

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Fri Jun 3 14:01:20 UTC 2016

Having been part of this process from the beginning, I can vouch for the fact that this point was made repeatedly during our discussions of the IANA domain and IPR. I was firmly of the impression that the group that worked on this had concluded that the benefits of relying on the IETF Trust outweighed any benefits that might come from a hypothetical need to modify the Trust Agreement. I thought we had made this choice long ago. Surprised that it is coming up again.

> If people conclude that it is necessary to modify the Trust Agreement to
> satisfy the concerns of the CWG, then the IETF Trust is not a candidate at all
> for this role.  I hope we all realise that this means we'd need a new trust to
> be established.  While I think creating such a trust is about an afternoon of
> work for any lawyer competent in this area of the law, in my opinion the
> organizational details that we'd have to work out in such a case are
> altogether unlikely to happen in time for this all to be completed by
> September.

Completely agree, this is one of the main reasons why we chose to go with the IETF Trust.

--MM