[CWG-Stewardship] FW: [IOTF] Rationale for PTI Staffing Recommendations

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Thu Jun 16 13:25:22 UTC 2016

Thanks Kurt for spending considerable time and thought and undoubtedly using your experience at ICANN to respond to Greg’s comments. I think the format you created would be an easy one to using for the IOTF to use in discussing the rationale document before making some recommendations to the full CWG.

In the IOTF call yesterday I sensed that there was reasonably strong support for making the secondment approach work; in one case there was just support for applying it in the near term and not long term but it appeared that everyone wants to ensure the stability and continuity of the IANA personnel.  If I am correct on this. Then I think we can simplify the process of reviewing and dealing with the issues that were raised by Greg and responded to by Kurt.  A lot of the issues commented on are interesting and probably even valid points but they really are non-impactful regarding the secondment approach; in other words, if we want to make the secondment approach work, we don’t need to do anything in response to the comments.  In my opinion, we could set those comments aside and focus on the ones that might have an impact and figure out ways to deal with the issues if needed.  So the first step would be to identify the impactful issues and then focus on them.  Maybe Greg and Kurt together could take a first stab at doing that.

Of course, the most important task that is needed is to ensure that the secondment approach satisfies the recommendations of the CWG so we definitely make sure that happens but I would like to think that that is a solvable problem.

Chuck