[CWG-Stewardship] FW: [IOTF] Rationale for PTI Staffing Recommendations

Martin Boyle Martin.Boyle at nominet.uk
Wed Jun 22 21:49:12 UTC 2016

Milton,

In "The plan was to _transfer_ staff from ICANN to PTI, not to second them. IANA staff would become part of PTI, not a department of ICANN,"
I accept that it is possible to assume this, but I can't see where we said this.

I've watched this discussion with some bewilderment.  It seems to be way beyond the remit of the CWG to insist that the IANA staff must join PTI against their will or lose their job.

Having been a secondee from one government ministry to another and from my government to an IGO (the European Commission), in both cases it was recognised by my employer AND the host organisation that my loyalty was to the latter for the period of the secondment.  My annual review, for example, was by my line manager in my secondments and was on file as is with my employer.

For separation, I don't see why secondees affect the situation.  As the steward, it would not be in ICANN's interest to undermine the operator, whoever it is.  Staff can still be seconded to the new operator (but cannot be forced to go - but they can't be forced to stay with ICANN or PTO, either).

Martin Boyle

Sent from my iPhone

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D0FCF7.DEE0F1F0]

nominet.uk<http://nominet.uk/>    DD: +44 (0)1865 332251<tel:+44%20(0)1865%20332251>
Minerva House, Edmund Halley Road, Oxford, OX4 4DQ, United Kingdom