[CWG-Stewardship] CCWG-Accountability Proposal Approved by Chartering Organizations

Paul M Kane - CWG paul.kane-cwg at icb.co.uk
Thu Mar 10 09:34:23 UTC 2016

I am not in Marrakesh but remain willing to be involved in the Transition
Implementation work.

When we started the multi-stakeholder project in 1996, culminating in the
creation of ICANN in 1998, we all had a dream that we needed a forum for groups
to exchange information and come to rough consensus. The goal was not to make
the ICANN a seat of authority but a facilitator of the discussion forums for
those that wanted to be involved in gTLD policy.

Having experienced the exemplary work of the Stewardship Transition Working
Group, I think every member of the community can be proud of the forum that has
been created.

In adolescence human nature is frequently to be the focus of attention, seeking
power and authority; in maturity, to sustain wisdom and operational stability,
it is better to empower others to exchange ideas by distributing roles and
responsibilities.

As the ICANN forum transitions from adolescence to adulthood, I would like to
pay a special tribute to Becky Burr who as the head of NTIA at the time signed
the letter that recognised the then fledgeling Internet forum and Fiona
Alexander and her team, who for more than a decade have been promoting the
multi-stakeholder dream as originally envisaged.

Congratulations, this is a major milestone in the Internet's evolution.

Warmest regards to all

Paul