[CWG-Stewardship] Bylaw questions

Lise Fuhr Fuhr at etno.eu
Thu Mar 31 15:10:16 UTC 2016

Dear all,

At the CWG call today we will discuss the following questions from our legal advisors:

Question 1. (and 12, 16, 17 &18)  Please confirm GNSO and ccNSO supermajority approval threshold.  Page 1 of CWG Staff’s response chart refers to supermajority voting of the relevant SO, but page 11 of the CWG Staff’s response chart states that the CWG “has agreed to keep the current practices (i.e., simple majority voting) for both the GNSO and ccNSO.” As the proposal specifically contemplates a supermajority vote for material changes to the IANA Functions Contract, the reference to “simple” majority on page 11 of the response chart appears to be an error. (Page 10 of Bylaws matrix); same question in relation to approval of recommendations relating to the IFR relating to the Special IFR and SCWG establishment and the separation process.
Recommendation: Supermajority vote

Question 19. Determine number of days within which ICANN must take all steps reasonably necessary to effect SCWG recommendations: “As promptly as practical (and within [●] [days]) following the SCWG recommendations, or in the event of an SCWG recommendation to initiate a Separation Process, as promptly as practical (and within [●] [days]) following the approval of such recommendation, ICANN shall take all steps reasonably necessary to effect such SCWG recommendations.” (Page 56 of Bylaws Matrix)

Recommendation: 30 days

Please note
The client committee will accept the recommendations unless we get objections on the call today.

Best,
Lise