[CWG-Stewardship] RZERC Charter for CWG review

Christopher Wilkinson lists at christopherwilkinson.eu
Sun May 8 18:46:22 UTC 2016

Good evening:

Before we get too much involved with the details of RZERC, may I say that I am not convinced that we need another committee or a charter about the Root Zone atall.
There are two significant issues in this context that were identified twenty years ago and remain germane:

1.	It is no longer appropriate for Verisign to hold control over the primary root server. As long as we could rely on the benign common sense of NTIA, that anomaly has been accepted, but things have now changed. Should Verisign be asked to choose between holding the .com Registry and holding the primary root server, I have little doubt as to which way they would go.

2.	The geographical distribution of the other Root Servers is no longer consistent with the contemporary topology of the Internet. Granted that the proliferation of mirror servers has alleviated some of the technical constraints. However, the gains from rebalancing the situation far outweigh any conceivable losses. Do something about this soon.

These issues can be resolved within existing structures and competences. We do not need RZ***  to do so.

CW