[CWG-Stewardship] RZERC Charter for CWG review

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Mon May 9 01:22:58 UTC 2016

At 08/05/2016 07:09 PM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>On Sun, May 08, 2016 at 02:34:50PM -0400, Alan Greenberg wrote:
> > Currently NTIA passes judgement on pretty much EVERYTHING that IANA does,
> > including details of what is on a report.
>
>Yes,
>
> > The new authorization function (committee + Board) was to replace
> > that, but only for the more substantive issues.
>
>I guess I can imagine that there would be a new kind of number
>resource, for instance, that got an IANA registry; and I can imagine
>this group perhaps having something to say about that.  But
>fundamentally, are you suggesting that if the IETF published a
>standards-track RFC that said to IANA, "Create this new kind of
>registry," then the Board would be in a position to say, "No"?  If so,
>then I think we have a very different idea of how IANA functions.

The existence of a new number resource would not be an issue that
this group would look at - that is clearly an IETF issue. The plans
on how to do it (it might require some complex systems, for instance,
depending on how the new resource is distributed and to whom, or the
level of security to be associated with access to the registry) would
be the question. In the past, automation processes have been
something that NTIA definitely was involved in.

Alan