[CWG-Stewardship] FW: [client com] Naming Function Agreement

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Sep 1 12:28:36 UTC 2016

Hi,

I totally don't care about this, but in the definitions there's this:

    “Delegation” refers to the process by which the operator of the
    IANA Naming Function initially assigns management responsibility
    or assigns previously assigned responsibility (after a revocation)
    for the management of a ccTLD, as further defined in the RFC 1591
    as interpreted by the FOI.

As a DNS geek, that strikes me as incorrect.  Delegation is very
simple: it's the act of putting NS records in the parent zone (in this
case the root) to the authoritative nameservers for the child zone.  I
could do delegation in anvilwalrusden.com to some other namespace
(example.anvilwalrusden.com). It would certainly have nothing to do
with either ICANN or ccTLDs.

The "management responsibility" stuff all sounds to me like what some
of us have come to call "allocation".

Anyway, I don't know that this ramifies, but I thought I ought to
point it out.