[CWG-Stewardship] Letter of instruction from the CWG to ICANN regarding the IANA IPR Community Agreement.

Steve Crocker steve.crocker at board.icann.org
Fri Sep 23 19:43:46 UTC 2016

Jonathan, et al,

Thanks for this.  What does CCG stand for?  Apologies if it’s there and I missed it.  My eyes glazed over with the plethora of acronyms.

A separate but related aspect that I hope is under control is the arrangements for the actual operation of the iana.org domain name.  We have discussed many times the need for protection against hypothetical rogue behavior by the IETF trustees.  (I am definitely casting aspersions on them.  I was one of the original trustees of the IETF Trust.)   I believe the planned protection against abrupt transfer of control of the domain is via suitable arrangements with the registrar.  Your letter is silent on this aspect.  If we’re in agreement the appropriate protection will be included in the contractual arrangements with the registrar, I’m comfortable.

I expect Trang will circulate this within ICANN management and others will read it carefully and reply.  Please take this as a message from me and not necessarily a coordinated response from ICANN management or the ICANN Board.

Thanks,

Steve