[CWG-Stewardship] Letter of instruction from the CWG to ICANN regarding the IANA IPR Community Agreement.

Christopher Wilkinson lists at christopherwilkinson.eu
Fri Sep 23 21:36:22 UTC 2016

Good evening:

Thankyou. Noted. I look forward to working with you in this matter.
Meanwhile, I would have a few suggestions regarding the draft letter.

-	Style: the general tone sounds unnecessarily aggressive which might not be conducive to cooperation in the future.
	Could we avoid 'instructs' and 'directs' without unduly diluting the underlying intentions?

-	Separation: those clauses which refer to possible separation of the Names Community from the IETF Trust, and thus from ICANN and IANA, should be expressly qualified by reference to the agreed EEE procedure set out in the Transition proposal. Paragraph 5e of the draft letter refers. Articles 5 and 6 of the IETF License agreement also refer to this and should be qualified in the same way.

	More generally, the Community Agreement, the Naming Functions Agreement and the IETF Trust License Agreement cannot provide for an 'end-run' as against the agreed procedures for an eventual separation decision by the Community, as set out in the Transition proposal.

-	Accountability and Transparency:  It would be desirable in the near future to agree guidelines as to the accountability of the Co-Chairs and Representatives in the CCG and transparency about how the positions that they may be called upon to support have been adopted.

-	Definitions: please include an explanation as to what is the CCG.

Regards

CW