[Discussion-igo-rc] Further GAC comments: Protections for IGOs/Red Cross Red Crescent

Jorge.Cancio at bakom.admin.ch Jorge.Cancio at bakom.admin.ch
Tue Feb 7 07:53:05 UTC 2017

Dear Mary,

Could you please clarify whether you have included my suggestions in the edited versions? If not, could you clarify why?

They are quite straightforward and fact-based. As a reminder:

==

Document “Outline of proposed process…”:

·         The commitment of both the GAC and GNSO to respect any agreed outcomes, without prejudice to internal procedures, should probably be clearer. I don’t think we would like to engage in a time-consuming process, if that commitment is not there.

·         It should be clear that ICANN policy (both existing and future) on these topics is based on policy (also public policy-) considerations. It not only implements law - although it is  logically bound to it as far as applicable.

·         We expect that the IGOs and the ICRC will designate representatives to participate in both work tracks. Switzerland is available for participating on both tracks too (not only the Red Cross one)

Both “Draft problem statement” documents:

·         The existing temporary protections both for IGOs and ICRC should be identified and summarized in the briefings. They should be maintained in all cases, until an agreed satisfactory solution is found.

·         The “problem” statement in both documents (with the header “the problem” in both docs) includes the proviso that “where practicable, any protection mechanism to be developed should take advantage of similar mechanisms…” – while this may be a consideration to be made, it is not part of the problem as such, and should be removed from the “problem statement”

Under the IGO document, “the objective” statement establishes the condition that solutions should “be based on applicable international law principles” – while we agree that international law, where existing, is important and has to be abided to, we should not forget, as said above, that ICANN policy on these topics is based on policy (also public policy-) considerations. It not only implements law - although it is  logically bound to it as far as applicable.

==

Thanks and regards

Jorge