[Discussion-igo-rc] Problem Statement, and additional thoughts/notes

Jonathan.PASSARO at oecd.org Jonathan.PASSARO at oecd.org
Wed Mar 1 10:02:14 UTC 2017

Dear Phil,

Thank you for your message and for working to find a middle-ground solution.

It seems like our disagreement is about one of scope. I suggest we state this more simply. “Appropriate” makes it sound as though the small group’s job is to determine which immunities are appropriate for IGOs. Our member states have already made this determination for us; our role is to ensure that ICANN processes accommodate international and national law on this issue.

I would therefore suggest “should take into account IGOs’ unique status, in particular the scope of their immunity from the jurisdiction of national courts”.

I also cannot emphasise enough that the “absolute immunity” question is not relevant to the present discussion, as the activities we are discussing are narrow. Expanding the discussion to “absolute immunity” is counter-productive.

All best,

Jon