[DNS-Abuse-Measurements] abuse suspension of infrastructure domain names

Theo Geurts gtheo at xs4all.nl
Fri May 1 11:19:28 UTC 2020

I think there are a few issues at play here.

We have a few clients with critical infrastructure domains. We are aware
of such domain names and our abuse team has a clear set of instructions,
plus they are locked at the registry level for obvious reasons.

That will not prevent a registry from suspending a domain name
(regardless if you are a registrar or not). What we can observe from the
digital COVID outbreak that blocklists were popping up left and right
with tons of false positives. If such blocklists are automatically
parsed by gTLD registries it will cause issues.

To counter blocklist issues, the https://www.cyberthreatcoalition.org/
blocklist only contains IOC's that are flagged by 10+ different parties.
Anything below that threshold will not make the blocklist.

Best,

Theo Geurts

Realtime Register B.V.