[DT-O] Contingency fund

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Fri May 29 14:09:49 UTC 2015

Dear Chuck,

my comments in-line:

On 29/05/2015 08:57, Gomes, Chuck wrote:
> Let's discuss these ideas on list.  Please see my comments below.
>
> Chuck

Historically, in the past 5 years I have seen some budgets being
cut/reduced without any ICANN community being involved. It is unclear on
whether these are decisions of the Board Finance Committee or of the CFO
& Staff, or of the COO.
I'll therefore refer to "ICANN" as the "organisation" - if ICANN decided
to reduce budgets, should there be guidelines as to keep a guaranteed
PTI budget?

> What about if ICANN has a cash squeeze? Should we have a recommendation that in the event of limited cashflow at ICANN priority must be given to funding IANA operations?
> [Chuck Gomes] What does priority mean?    Again I think we would need to be more specific.

Apologies for my poor expression of issues - a bit tired. :-) See above.

> What about in the event of ICANN bankruptcy - should a reserve sum be kept in an escrow account (a contingency fund) to bridge the period required for reorganisation?
> [Chuck Gomes] I think the affiliate model in CA covers some concerns about bankruptcy but wouldn't necessarily provide funding.  One thing we might suggest that I think someone commented on is that one or more years of funding be kept in escrow at current year spending levels.

Agreed.
Kind regards,

Olivier