[ECAdmin] ICANN 2018 NomCom Selected Nominee to ICANN Board of Directors

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu Sep 20 02:23:24 UTC 2018

I'll add to this. Technically, an action of the
EC requires action on behalf of FIVE EC
Representatives. At the time I write this, a mere
2.5 days has elapsed since we received the
notification of the new appointment.

May I remind staff that we are volunteers. Unpaid
volunteers. Just occasionally, we cannot put 100%
of our time into ICANN matters.

If only ICANN Org would do everything it is
supposed to do as promptly as it apparently expects us to.

Alan

At 19/09/2018 05:28 AM, Stephen Deerhake @ ASNIC wrote:

>Greetings Ozan,
>
>As you state in your email,
>
>“Staff would like to kindly remind that
>according to ICANN Bylaws, section 7.8(c), the
>EC Administration shall promptly provide the
>Secretary (with a copy to the Decisional
>Participants) with written notice of the designation of the Board Director.”
>
>Could you have been more snarky with that comment?  SERIOUSLY?
>
>“Shall promptly provide…”
>

>With the blessings and support of my fellow
>Empowered Community Administration colleagues, I
>currently “hold the pen” for us.  Thus, any
>formal communication between the ECA and ICANN comes under my signature.
>Nigel
>
>So you caught me whist I was in the middle of a
>35+h trip over 9 time zones to represent
>ICANN’s interests at a regional organization
>meeting, most members of which are rather
>skeptical of ICANN and its mission to begin with.
>

>And really now, what does “promptly provide
” mean in ICANN-speak anyway?>

>Ironically, in your admonition to the Empowered
>Community Administration, you forgot half of
>your homework, which was the ECA having to
>rescind its prior endorsement of the NomCom’s
>submission of  Lousewies van der Laan for Board
>Seat 2.  As you have seen from the paperwork I
>have submitted to John Jeffrey, I have done this
>on behalf of the Empowered Community
>Administration.  And additionally, I have
>endorsed, on behalf of my fellow ECA members,
>the selection of Demic  Jevtovic to fill Board
>Seat 2, per the NomCom’s recommendation,
>beginning at the conclusion of the upcoming ICANN meeting.
>
>Lastly, I want to state, both on my behalf and
>also on behalf of my fellow Empowered Community
>Administration members, that UNDER NO
>CIRCUMSTANCES can you or fellow ICANN Staff
>members assume to “act for us”, such as, as
>you suggest “
happy to forward the notice on