[Epdp-dt] Membership Composition - All Stakeholder Groups Must Have Parity in Numbers

Drazek, Keith kdrazek at verisign.com
Mon Jul 2 20:38:38 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I’d like to provide my current understanding and expectations, and ask a clarifying question:

1.      We are in uncharted territory with this EPDP. We’ve never had an EPDP before, and this one is forced to operate under a tight deadline triggered by the Temporary Specification language in registry and registrar agreements.
2.      In a normal PDP, there is no restriction on participation or representation, so any number of participants could engage as they choose, regardless of SG/C.
3.      In a normal PDP, individuals from other SOs and ACs may join freely and contribute as they wish.
4.      This is not a normal PDP and we’ve elected to restrict participation and agreed to find a balance that supports the concept of “inclusivity” across the ICANN community.
5.      To keep this EPDP WG focused and cost-effective, we agreed to keep the numbers manageable and settled on a ballpark number of 30. The current construct is 30 plus 5 liaisons and the independent Chair for a total of 36.
6.      The original proposal from Staff (in the draft charter template) had participation at the SG level, not C level. It was in response to Marie and Paul’s intervention in Panama that we considered expanding the CSG groups to enable participation at the C level, as their views may differ.
7.      The discussion of “voting” thresholds and “vote weighting” was set aside, noting that the EPDP WG will work to reach consensus and will not engage in polling or voting.
8.      We agreed that participants in the EPDP WG are representing their SO, AC, SG or C and not their individual views or position. As such, each as a group will be asked whether there is consensus, not each individual participant.
9.      The SGs and Cs must take a position in support of consensus or indicate that more work needs to be done. Because of this, I do not see imbalance in determining the outcome. The CSG constituencies will have one position each, not 3 each, and there very well may be differences among them.
10.     We are not re-creating the GNSO Council structure with this EPDP WG. We have added participation from other SOs and ACs, so it is no longer possible to have it be a copy of the GNSO Council.
11.     With the intensity of work ahead of us, I do not believe that one person from any SG or C can handle the responsibility of representing their respective groups alone. We must ensure we have sufficient engagement to deliver an initial report in approximately 8 weeks. We need several people from each interested group to contribute, while also ensuring we avoid the pitfalls of voting/polling and creating a perceived imbalance of power in decision-making.

Question:  Is the balance concern an issue related to decision-making, or participation levels? In other words, is the worry that the CSG groups will have a stronger voice in determining final consensus? Or is it about participation levels over the coming months?

I do not support making the WG any bigger than the current number of 36.  Perhaps the answer is to have the BC, IPC and ISPCP receive two (2) participation slots each instead of three (3)?  That would re-balance the participation while ensuring no constituency is single-threaded and relying on only one representative.

We need to be flexible here and reach agreement on a very unfortunate and tight timeline that was imposed upon us. Let’s come together and figure out a fair and responsible construct that ensures maximum likelihood of success. We’ll surely learn lessons from any decision, but no decision is not an option.

Regards,

Keith