[Finance-sc] FBSC Policy Discussions

Maureen Hilyard maureen.hilyard at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 18:55:38 UTC 2019

Dear FBSC members

In a recent CPWG meeting it was discussed that time spent on policy issues
appeared to be crowded by discussions that were not really policy. This
included finance topics which are really the responsibility of the FBSC.

Traditionally the FBSC has really only met to look at the annual ABRs to be
submitted to the ICANN Finance at budget allocation time. However the fine
print at the top of the FBSC page, explains the full extent of the FBSC
role which in the past we have not undertaken. Therefore, bowing to the
increasing pressure that the CPWG is operating under, we need to share this
load.

The tasks of the FBSC include, but are not limited to:

   - Coordination of annual additional budget requests from the ALAC and
   RALOs, to go into the yearly ICANN budget
   - Drafting any statement related to the ICANN budget process
   - Drafting any statement related to the ICANN strategic process
   - Drafting any statement regarding ICANN operating plan
   - Issues involving the Constituency Travel budget

This proves that the CPWG is correct in their suggestion that finance
issues would be better served by the FBSC. We need to discuss the issues
and to create a statement on behalf of At-Large for public comment.  This
statement will then go to the CPWG for further comment before submitting a
finalised version to the Finance Team.

Our first topic of conversation will be "*Fiscal Year 2021 budget for
Public Technical Identifiers*". To help us to understand what is required
of us, ICANN is providing webinars to explain it all and to offer you a
chance to ask questions (see below). This webinar will thus give us some
background on what we will need to know before our discussion.

I am hoping that our At-Large expert on PTI and other topics, Alan
Greenberg, will also accept an invitation to join us in any discussions we
have on this topic.

A doodle will go out to you shortly so that we can coordinate our first
policy meeting. Look forward to seeing you there. :)

Maureen

Colleagues,

We are beginning the process to develop the Fiscal Year 2021 budget for
Public Technical Identifiers, which comprises the costs of delivering the
IANA functions as well as other associated expenses from July 2020 through
June 2021.

As part of the process we are holding a kick-off webinar. The short webinar
will briefly explain the process and timeline, and provide a set of
planning assumptions for feedback from the community. We will then have an
opportunity to provide comment either on the webinar, or via email
afterward. At this stage our focus is on any adjustments to the planning
assumptions, as well as identifying upcoming priorities we should focus on
for the IANA functions.

The preliminary feedback we receive from these webinars and other
engagements will influence a draft budget that will be put for a formal
public comment period later this year. Therefore, this is not the only
opportunity for the community to provide feedback.

The webinar is open to anyone interested, and we'd encourage you to share
this invite as you see fit.

The webinar will be held twice to cater for different time zones, as
follows:

   1. Tuesday, 13 August at 1500 UTC: https://icann.zoom.us/j/650413047
   2. Wednesday, 14 August at 0000 UTC: https://icann.zoom.us/j/279641171

We are looking forward to your input, and please let me know if you have
any questions.

Kindest regards,

Kim Davies

VP, IANA Services, ICANN
President, Public Technical Identifiers (PTI)