[Gdd-gnso-ppsai-impl] Agenda for 11 April 2017 Privacy/Proxy IRT meeting, 1400 UTC

Michelle DeSmyter michelle.desmyter at icann.org
Tue Apr 11 14:41:43 UTC 2017

Thank you David, we will note your apology for today.

Best,
Michelle

From: <gdd-gnso-ppsai-impl-bounces at icann.org<mailto:gdd-gnso-ppsai-impl-bounces at icann.org>> on behalf of David Hughes <dhughes at riaa.com<mailto:dhughes at riaa.com>>
Date: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 8:58 AM
To: "gdd-gnso-ppsai-impl at icann.org<mailto:gdd-gnso-ppsai-impl at icann.org>" <gdd-gnso-ppsai-impl at icann.org<mailto:gdd-gnso-ppsai-impl at icann.org>>
Subject: Re: [Gdd-gnso-ppsai-impl] Agenda for 11 April 2017 Privacy/Proxy IRT meeting, 1400 UTC

I'm sorry neither can I make the call today.
Sorry
David

On Apr 11, 2017, at 09:20, Victoria Sheckler <vsheckler at riaa.com<mailto:vsheckler at riaa.com>> wrote:

Apologies but I can't make it today.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 7, 2017, at 8:06 AM, Amy Bivins <amy.bivins at icann.org<mailto:amy.bivins at icann.org>> wrote:

Dear Colleagues,

At the next Privacy/Proxy Service Provider Accreditation IRT meeting, scheduled for 11 April 2017, 1400 UTC, we will have a follow-up discussion on two topics we have discussed previously:

·         Whether registrars should authenticate accredited privacy/proxy providers that are not affiliated with the registrar; and

·         Registration Data Directory Service (RDDS) labeling requirements.

Because we want to discuss these topics from a technical standpoint, Francisco Arias, Sr. Director, GDD Technical Services, will be with us on the call. Our goal is to ensure that our implementation with respect to these topics is consistent with the intent of the Policy Recommendations and technically sound.

We initially discussed the possibility of requiring registrars to authenticate unaffiliated privacy/proxy providers during our face-to-face meeting at ICANN58 as a way to implement the recommendation "Registrars are not to knowingly accept registrations from privacy or proxy service providers who are not accredited through the process developed by ICANN." A summary of your input on this topic is attached. A requirement that a registrar authenticate that an entity that presents itself as an accredited provider is, in fact, an accredited provider, would provide certainty in the overall marketplace. We would like to discuss our reasoning with you further and solicit your feedback.

As you may recall, we first discussed RDDS labeling on our 14 February IRT call. During that meeting we discussed an ICANN-organization proposal for new RDDS fields for registrations involving privacy/proxy services. A summary of your input on this topic is attached. We would like to discuss potential technical reasons why at least one new field could be a more viable alternative for RDDS users to using existing fields and possible challenges to using existing fields.

We look forward to a robust discussion and hope you can participate. Our goal is to reach agreement on these topics by the close of the call. If you have questions or comments beforehand, please send them to the list.

Best,
Amy

Amy E. Bivins
Registrar Policy Services Manager
Registrar Services and Industry Relations
Direct: +1 (202) 249-7551
Fax:  +1 (202) 789-0104
Email: amy.bivins at icann.org<mailto:amy.bivins at icann.org>
www.icann.org<http://www.icann.org>