[Gdd-gnso-ppsai-impl] Action items, request for additional IRT input after 8 August IRT call

Amy Bivins amy.bivins at icann.org
Tue Aug 15 13:09:14 UTC 2017

Hi Steve,

Thanks for flagging this. I'll explain my understanding of how this would work as written now, based on the pending changes that have been recommended by the IRT. However, I'll need to check with Legal to verify that the language we decide upon achieves the desired result.

Looking at the requirements for registrars, in the 2013 RAA's WHOIS Accuracy Specification<https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/approved-with-specs-2013-09-17-en#whois-accuracy>, Section 2, registrars are required, within 15 days of receiving any changes to contact information in WHOIS or the corresponding customer account info, to validate and verify the changed fields. So, at least in the case of a Proxy Service Provider-who is the Registered Name Holder-notifying the registrar that the PP service has been suspended and that the account information should be updated to the customer's information would seem to fall within this. And if the information cannot be validated or verified, then the registrar shall suspend the registration. So while this is not automatic-the customer could remedy its willful provision of inaccurate info by correcting it with the registrar-if the customer didn't correct the information, then suspension would be the next step. I think this may address the issue raised by Theo, as registrars are required to act when they receive changes. What do others think? Do you think some added step of verification is needed, as Theo asked?

In addition, the RAA's WHOIS accuracy program specification, at Section 4, requires the registrar to validate and verify if it has any information suggesting that the WHOIS information is incorrect. It would seem that a PP Provider's notice to the registrar in this instance would qualify as "any information suggesting that the contact information specified...is incorrect."

So, while the provider's notice to the registrar as outlined in the specification of the PPAA would not result in automatic suspension of the name, this could be the ultimate result if the issue is not addressed after it is escalated to the registrar.

You're right that the PPAA specification doesn't mention suspension/termination of the PP service itself-and we could certainly add that.

What do others think about this issue? Any additional input would be very helpful-I'll compile it and discuss with the Legal team and then tee this up for an upcoming call.

Thanks!
Amy