[Gdd-gnso-ppsai-impl] FW: [Ext] RE: Agenda + Updated Draft PPAA with IRT comments

Caitlin Tubergen caitlin.tubergen at icann.org
Tue Dec 5 15:07:01 UTC 2017

From: "Roman, Peter (CRM)" <Peter.Roman at usdoj.gov>
Date: Tuesday, December 5, 2017 at 5:40 AM
To: Caitlin Tubergen <caitlin.tubergen at icann.org>, "gdd-gnso-ppsai-impl at icann.org" <gdd-gnso-ppsai-impl at icann.org>
Subject: [Ext] RE: Agenda + Updated Draft PPAA with IRT comments

Good morning all –

I have a few additional comments on the draft:

Overall – this agreement seems to misunderstand the point of having a high priority request mechanism.  High priority requests are usually emergencies where victims are moments away from danger.  Not requiring immediate responses to these requests renders them moot.  A request that is answered within 24 hours, but 20 hours after the victim is dead, does not respect the importance of the request or the imminence of the danger.

3.12.2 - If the abuse contact point is not monitored 24/7, how are providers going to respond to high priority requests in time?

SPECIFICATION 5: LAW ENFORCEMENT AUTHORITY DISCLOSURE FRAMEWORK SPECIFICATION

3.1 – This is the same issue as for 3.12.2 in the main bod of the agreement, if the point of contact is not required to be available 24/7, it defeats the purpose of the high priority requests.

3.2.1 – This part of the receipt process combined with 4.1 creates a two day window before providers have to even address whether a request is high priority, again defeating the purpose of having a high priority request.

4.1.1 – By waiting to respond until after the Receipt Process is complete, which can take up to two days under 3.2.1, the agreement renders the high priority request provisions moot.

4.1.2 – Responding to high priority requests within 24 hours is not sufficient.  A request that is answered within 24 hours, but 20 hours after the victim is dead, does not respect the importance of the request or the imminence of the danger.  High priority requests need to be responded to more or less immediately.

4.3.2 – The Provider should be required to disclose changes to the timeframe for notification of the Customer to LEA Requestors with current requests (i.e., “should” should be “must”).  If the Customer is a target, notifying the Customer without alerting LEA can lead to the Customer destroying evidence, fleeing, or even threatening or killing informants who led law enforcement to the Customer’s account in the first place.

5.1 – I do not understand the purpose of this provision.  LEA is not a party to this agreement and the agreement has no ability to bind LEA actions if the Provider fails to respond to a request.

6.2 – I do not understand the purpose of this provision either.  LEA is not a party to this agreement and the agreement has no ability to bind LEA use of the evidence provided by the Provider.

Peter Roman

Senior Counsel

Computer Crime & Intellectual Property Section

Criminal Division

Department of Justice

1301 New York Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20530