[Gdd-gnso-ppsai-impl] Materials and questions for 24 January PP IRT Call

Metalitz, Steven met at msk.com
Mon Jan 23 18:05:53 UTC 2017

Hello Amy and colleagues,

A threshold question regarding your draft of section II:

I am not clear on your distinction between the level of specificity in the document called "policy" and in the contract that accredited services would be asked to sign.

One approach would be for section II to read in its entirety:

"Privacy and Proxy Service providers SHALL enter into and maintain in effect Accreditation Agreements with ICANN that set out the terms and conditions of accreditation.   The current standard Accreditation Agreement is attached as Attachment A. "

There could be at least two advantages to this approach. First, we would save the time required to set varying levels of specificity between the two documents.  (For instance, as noted in your MS Word comment #9, deciding whether we agree or disagree with your belief that the triggering requirements for verification and reverification of customer information is "more appropriately included in the contract" than in the policy.)  Second, this would avoid the situation in which there might be perceived (or real) discrepancies between the statement in this section of the Policy and the actual terms of the Agreement to which providers would be subject.  In other words, more efficiency for this IRT and less ambiguity and confusion once the program is in place.

Was this approach considered, and if so , why was it rejected?

A variation on my suggestion would be for IRT to review a draft accreditation agreement first, and then turn to whether any of its provisions need to be summarized or specifically referenced in section II of the policy document.

Looking forward to your response.  Thanks.

Steve Metalitz