[Gdd-gnso-ppsai-impl] Materials, action items from 17 Oct Privacy/Proxy IRT call

Metalitz, Steven met at msk.com
Thu Nov 30 22:16:13 UTC 2017

PPSAI colleagues,
I offer the following comments and suggested edits regarding the Oct. 20 redline version of the PPAA.  I may have a few other suggestions by tomorrow’s deadline, and will definitely have responses later to some of the other proposed edits that have been sent to the list.  (And thanks to Theo and colleagues for their comprehensive review of the document!)
First, I would reiterate the suggestions made in my Oct. 21 posting to the list, as follows:
Subsection 3.5.3.15: strike “should” and insert “shall,” for consistency with parallel provisions throughout this section 3.5.
Section 3.7, third line from the bottom:  “employee” should be “employ.”
Section 3.17.1:  I suggest adding the words “as applicable” or “to the extent applicable” at the end of the section.  Not every Disclosure or Publication request that Provider receives will fall under the IP or LEA disclosure frameworks.
Section 5.7.3:  the notice that the suspended Provider must send to customers should specify “that it is unable to offer or provide the Services for any new registrations” (adding the last 4 words).  A suspended Provider can (and indeed must) provide the Services to its current customers.  [Note that the phrasing “any additional registrations” might be more accurate here, and in the corresponding provision of 5.7.1 --- otherwise it might be possible for a suspended provider to being providing services for the first time to an existing registration whose registrant decides to engage a service.]
Here are some additional suggestions:
Section 1.43:  strike “comprising the Working Group,” insert “representatives of the Service Providers.”  This issue is noted on page 2 of the Discussion Items document.
Section 3.5.3.3: since this has to do with p/p services and not with registration per se, the references to “initial registration and each renewal registration” should be changed to something like “each initial agreement to provide Services and each renewal or extension of such agreement.”  I believe this is also responsive to Theo’s sticky note on the RrSG redline for this section.
Section 3.8.1 (specifying what needs to be stated on request forms) should include a cross-reference to section 3.8.2 (requiring publication of links to request forms in some circumstances). Alternatively, perhaps the order of these two sections should be reversed.
Section 3.8.5.5 needs some rephrasing.  Reveal is not a defined term in the PPAA, and the provider does not itself Publish data in the RDS (the registrar or registry does that), but can cause it to be Published.  This may a rare instance in which use of the passive voice may be preferable (“the circumstances under which the Customer’s identity or contact data will be published in the RDDS….”).
Section 3.19:  substitute “shall” for “should.”  In fact the entire document should be reviewed to see where this change is needed.
Section 5.3:  this is another issue I raised in my Oct. 21 posting:  “Section 5.3 does not give ICANN the right to substitute the new version of the agreement, it gives that right to the provider.  Furthermore, 5.3 addresses the scenario  in which the new agreement is swapped in during the term of the current agreement.  The point I was trying to raise on the call (and I am sorry if this was not clear) is ensuring that all renewals of the agreement at the end of the term reflect the most recent version.   As currently drafted, section 5.2 seems to give the provider the option of renewing under the terms of the old agreement (“under the terms and conditions of this agreement”), even if it has been superseded by a new form of agreement that is materially different.  This could be fixed by  adding a subsection 5.2.5 along the following lines: ‘5.2.5:  this Agreement has been superseded by a revised form accreditation agreement for the provision of the Services (“Updated PPAA”) that is materially different from this Agreement, in which case the right of renewal provided by this section shall be under the terms and conditions of the Updated PPAA.’”
Section 5.7.4:  consider inserting at the end of the first sentence “or its invocation of section 5.5.7,” which is another path ICANN could take to deal with the situation of an uncured “endangerment” scenario.
Section 7.4.1:  shouldn’t the Working Group be the party to receive the notice re revision of the Agreement?  This would be consistent with the rest of section 7.4.
 Glad to try to answer any questions about these.
Steve Metalitz

[image001]
Steven J. Metalitz | Partner, through his professional corporation
T: 202.355.7902 | met at msk.com<mailto:met at msk.com>
Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp LLP | www.msk.com<http://www.msk.com/>
1818 N Street NW, 8th Floor, Washington, DC 20036

THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS E-MAIL MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL USE OF THE DESIGNATED RECIPIENTS. THIS MESSAGE MAY BE AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT COMMUNICATION, AND AS SUCH IS PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL. IF THE READER OF THIS MESSAGE IS NOT AN INTENDED RECIPIENT, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT ANY REVIEW, USE, DISSEMINATION, FORWARDING OR COPYING OF THIS MESSAGE IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY BY REPLY E-MAIL OR TELEPHONE, AND DELETE THE ORIGINAL MESSAGE AND ALL ATTACHMENTS FROM YOUR SYSTEM. THANK YOU.