[Gdd-gnso-ppsai-impl] Materials, action items from 17 Oct Privacy/Proxy IRT call

Metalitz, Steven met at msk.com
Sat Oct 21 21:27:08 UTC 2017

Dear Caitlin,

I will take a look at the 20 October version of the PPAA but in the meantime:

Could you re-look at the renewal provision (your 3d bullet below)?  Section 5.3 does not give ICANN the right to substitute the new version of the agreement, it gives that right to the provider.  Furthermore, 5.3 addresses the scenario  in which the new agreement is swapped in during the term of the current agreement.  The point I was trying to raise on the call (and I am sorry if this was not clear) is ensuring that all renewals of the agreement at the end of the term reflect the most recent version.   As currently drafted, section 5.2 seems to give the provider the option of renewing under the terms of the old agreement (“under the terms and conditions of this agreement”), even if it has been superseded by a new form of agreement that is materially different.  This could be fixed by  adding a subsection 5.2.5 along the following lines:

5.2.5:  this Agreement has been superseded by a revised form accreditation agreement for the provision of the Services (“Updated PPAA”) that is materially different from this Agreement, in which case the right of renewal provided by this section shall be under the terms and conditions of the Updated PPAA.

There are other ways this  could be drafted but I hope this communicates the concern more clearly.

As I mentioned on the call, I also had a few quite minor suggestions regarding the text you circulated October 10:

Subsection 3.5.3.15: strike “should” and insert “shall,” for consistency with parallel provisions throughout this section 3.5.

Section 3.7, third line from the bottom:  “employee” should be “employ.”

Section 3.17.1:  I suggest adding the words “as applicable” or “to the extent applicable” at the end of the section.  Not every Disclosure or Publication request that Provider receives will fall under the IP or LEA disclosure frameworks.

Section 5.7.3:  the notice that the suspended Provider must send to customers should specify “that it is unable to offer or provide the Services for any new registrations” (adding the last 4 words).  A suspended Provider can (and indeed must) provide the Services to its current customers.

Steve Metalitz

[image001]
Steven J. Metalitz | Partner, through his professional corporation
T: 202.355.7902 | met at msk.com<mailto:met at msk.com>
Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp LLP | www.msk.com<http://www.msk.com/>
1818 N Street NW, 8th Floor, Washington, DC 20036

THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS E-MAIL MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL USE OF THE DESIGNATED RECIPIENTS. THIS MESSAGE MAY BE AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT COMMUNICATION, AND AS SUCH IS PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL. IF THE READER OF THIS MESSAGE IS NOT AN INTENDED RECIPIENT, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT ANY REVIEW, USE, DISSEMINATION, FORWARDING OR COPYING OF THIS MESSAGE IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY BY REPLY E-MAIL OR TELEPHONE, AND DELETE THE ORIGINAL MESSAGE AND ALL ATTACHMENTS FROM YOUR SYSTEM. THANK YOU.