[Gdd-gnso-ppsai-impl] Materials, Action Items From 30 Aug PP IRT Meeting

gtheo gtheo at xs4all.nl
Fri Aug 31 07:55:41 UTC 2018

Hi Amy,

Regarding the action item of the processing spec. As I and Volker
mentioned we need that to comply that with applicable law as mentioned
on the call.
Personally, I have a very strong opinion about this.

The GDPR is a principle-based law and not a rule-based law. The GDPR
mentions multiple times there must be an adequate level of protection,
this is very broad, but this is with good reason. See art 32, 25 etc.

Something like the below is a no go;
3.8.5. Using industry standard 256-bit AES encryption or suitable
equivalent where necessary or appropriate;

The GDPR expects you to use 256-bit AES (but does not specify that), and
if something comes along that is better and stronger you are supposed to
use that if it becomes best practice.

The GDPR does not state or mention you need to do a "pentest",
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penetration_test
But the ICO (Brittish supervising authority), ruled recently that the
lack of a pentest was a reason to issue higher fines. This was due to
the scale of the breach and the size of the company (very large
company).

Does the above mean that every company has to do a "pentest" in Europe?
No, this all matters on the amount of processing and size of the company
and the data being processed and the means available. The GDPR will push
companies to use the best of the best protection and security that is
available but within reason. But companies themselves need to determine
what is adequate and if they fail, they will get fined.

So if you could ask ICANN legal not to turn principle based law into
rule-based law much obliged.

Theo