[Gdd-gnso-ppsai-impl] PP fees proposal document attached

Volker Greimann vgreimann at key-systems.net
Wed May 23 10:54:28 UTC 2018

Hi Amy,

thank you for providing a brief moment of mirth amongst all the GDPR
sadness these days. I appreciate the effort of ICANN finance trying to
brighten our days with a little humor.

With all due respect though, this document is comparing apples to
oranges when they use registrar accreditation as a basis for the costing
efforts. The businesses of a registrar, where the accreditation fees are
a miniscule fraction of the benefits derived from the business arising
from the accreditation, cannot be compared to the business of a privacy
proxy service, which usually works on a break-even level or even below
that (certain large services being the exception).

I also regret that none of the arguments we made over the past months
are even remotely considered by the drafter of this document.

Here are the fees I would see as appropriate:

Affiliated providers: 1000 USD accreditation fee, zero USD annual fees

Non-Affiliated providers: 1500 USD accreditation fees, 500 USD annual fees.

Any shortfall would be covered by the ICANN budget, resulting in the
community paying for what they asked for.

Further cost reductions can be achieved by:

PP Application Evaluation Ops: 192,531 USD for internal evaluation of
applications? With staff that is already being paid? Please detail what
this cost comes from precisely.

-Cutting the background check (the WG never made a recommendation
requiring such a check, so if ICANN wants it, it should pay for it
itself - providers get no benefit from these checks). There, I just
saved you 631,790 USD. No need to thank me, gladly done!

- Cutting overhead to 5%: ICANN should operate a bit more frugally.
Waste costs should not be borne by providers.

- Compliance: Compliance has publicly stated they do not expect to hire
additional staff for this as in many cases registrar complaint
ressources would be shifted to this. Stop adding cost where the team
benefitting from it said it does not need it. I just saved you another
19,423 USD.

- Renewals cost: Make the term of the accreditation agreement longer,
set it to auto-renew unless terminated or do not set an end date at all
with more open termination rules.

- PP training: Create webinars and FAQs that can be viewed at leisure.

- PP data escrow: Similar to registrar data escrow, this hit is taken
out of the ICANN budget - community wants it, community pays for it.

- Billing and collections: Can likely be taken on by existing staff as
part of their daily routine work. Another 7,800 USD saved.

I also note that contrary to the presentation at the last ICANN meeting,
per unit prices would now fluctuate greatly depending on the number of
accredited providers. I specifically asked whether there would be an
impact depending on whether only 5 providers joined or 10,000 providers
joind and was told there would be no effect. Seems that position has now
changed?

If ICANN goes forward with this plan, it will result in one of the
biggest wastes of community time and the largest failed program as the
number of providers that will undergo this program will be minimal
(maybe countable on one hand), because GDPR is already providing most
benefits to registrants that they would get under a privacy or proxy
service. Godaddy has already announced it will no longer provide privacy
services to those customers that they consider to fall under the GDPR
protections, and Ia assume others will follow. So the need for a
registrar or reseller to provide such a service will be significantly
less urgent and demand for such services will significantly shrink. So
by making it harder and costlier to operate such a service, ICANN has
achieved the goal of encouraging domain registration service providers
to stop offering these services and instead opt for providing maximum
GDPR protection for free for all of their customers.

This plan reads to me like an attempt to price smaller ppsp's out of the
market. Enough already! Back to the drawing board!

Best regards,

Volker

Am 22.05.2018 um 22:20 schrieb Amy Bivins:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> Attached, you will find additional information related to the proposed
> fees for the privacy and proxy service provider accreditation program.
> Please review and send any comments/questions to the list.
>
> Thank you for your patience.
>
> Best,
>
> Amy
>
> *Amy E. Bivins*
>
> Registrar Services and Engagement Senior Manager
>
> Registrar Services and Industry Relations

> Direct: +1 (202) 249-7551
>
> Fax:  +1 (202) 789-0104
>
> Email: amy.bivins at icann.org <mailto:amy.bivins at icann.org>
>
> www.icann.org <http://www.icann.org>

Bei weiteren Fragen stehen wir Ihnen gerne zur Verfügung.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Volker A. Greimann
- Rechtsabteilung -

Key-Systems GmbH
Im Oberen Werk 1
66386 St. Ingbert
Tel.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 901
Fax.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 851
Email: vgreimann at key-systems.net

Web: www.key-systems.net / www.RRPproxy.net
www.domaindiscount24.com / www.BrandShelter.com

Folgen Sie uns bei Twitter oder werden Sie unser Fan bei Facebook:
www.facebook.com/KeySystems
www.twitter.com/key_systems

Geschäftsführer: Alexander Siffrin
Handelsregister Nr.: HR B 18835 - Saarbruecken
Umsatzsteuer ID.: DE211006534

Member of the KEYDRIVE GROUP
www.keydrive.lu

Der Inhalt dieser Nachricht ist vertraulich und nur für den angegebenen Empfänger bestimmt. Jede Form der Kenntnisgabe, Veröffentlichung oder Weitergabe an Dritte durch den Empfänger ist unzulässig. Sollte diese Nachricht nicht für Sie bestimmt sein, so bitten wir Sie, sich mit uns per E-Mail oder telefonisch in Verbindung zu setzen.

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Volker A. Greimann
- legal department -

Key-Systems GmbH
Im Oberen Werk 1
66386 St. Ingbert
Tel.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 901
Fax.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 851
Email: vgreimann at key-systems.net

Web: www.key-systems.net / www.RRPproxy.net
www.domaindiscount24.com / www.BrandShelter.com

Follow us on Twitter or join our fan community on Facebook and stay updated:
www.facebook.com/KeySystems
www.twitter.com/key_systems

CEO: Alexander Siffrin
Registration No.: HR B 18835 - Saarbruecken
V.A.T. ID.: DE211006534

Member of the KEYDRIVE GROUP
www.keydrive.lu

This e-mail and its attachments is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. Furthermore it is not permitted to publish any content of this email. You must not use, disclose, copy, print or rely on this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, kindly notify the author by replying to this e-mail or contacting us by telephone.