[GNSO-Accuracy-ST] Update - Working Accuracy Contractual Construct/ Definition

Michael Palage michael at palage.com
Sat Dec 11 18:14:41 UTC 2021

Hello Sophie,

While I am not attempting to answer your previous question to Lori on her
behalf, I thought I would like to provide the following data points that may
help answer/clarify this issue for all parties in an asynchronous manner,
thus saving previous plenary time for other matters.

In EPDP Phase 1 which the RySG fully endorsed, in Recommend 1 under "ICANN
Purposes for processing gTLD Registration Data" Paragraph 7 states in
relevant part "Enabling validation to confirm that Registered Name Holder
meets gTLD registration policy eligibility criteria voluntarily adopted by
Registry Operator and that are described or referenced in the Registry
Agreement for that gTLD." FN4 [The EPDP Team's approval of Purpose 7 does
not prevent and should not be interpreted as preventing Registry Operators
from voluntarily adopting gTLD registration policy eligibility criteria that
are not described or referenced in their respective Registry Agreements.]

Additionally, Paragraph 5 of Recommendation 1 in the EPDP Phase 1 report
further states that an ICANN purpose is Handle contractual compliance
monitoring requests and audit activities consistent with the terms of the
Registry agreement."

My recollection is that the RySG fully endorses the EPDP Phase 1 report
which is now consensus policy, so I am a little confused over the RySG's
concern about "belief" and "rights" since this seems to have already been
asked and answered. If the RySG's position on Recommendation regarding
purpose under Paragraphs 5 and 7 have change please let me know.  While
reviewing or proposing changes to the EPDP-identified purposes are outside
the mandate of this scoping team per the instructions of Council, we have
been instructed by Council to "identify this as an area of further work" if
"the scoping team finds that further review of these purposes is necessary."

Best regards,

Michael