[GNSO-Accuracy-ST] Potential Questions for ICANN Org

Michael Palage michael at palage.com
Tue Nov 23 16:07:24 UTC 2021

Hello Volker,

Thank you for sharing your concerns as I do take them very serious. In fact, I believe there were times in the last EPDP Phase 2A work that members of the BC raised concerns about Keith’s objectivity as chair which he was successful able to navigate.

So the first issue that I would like to address is what actions did I specifically take.  If you notice I did not insert these “potential” questions into the Google Doc.  What I did is share them with the group to help stimulate discussion based upon me doing the homework that was assigned to the Working Group. I am very much an eat your own dog food type of person. I am not going to ask the Working Group to undertake an assignment without myself doing it.  This is my own “checksum” to make sure that what is being asked of the Working Group members is reasonable, or perhaps more importantly doable.

Now when the Working Group convenes on December 2nd to finalize the list of questions, the Working Group as a whole may decide they only want to send seven questions to ICANN. If that happens I am totally fine with that outcome, and it would be inappropriate for me to override the consensus of the group and insert any questions that I wanted.

While I have previously read the GNSO Working Group Guidelines that you cited, I believe the more informative document that has guided me as Chair is the ICANN Consensus Playbook. (P.S. Shout out to Marika for suggesting that I read this document when I accepted this appointment). I have been specifically guided by the role of the chair to “facilitate” informed discussions and to make sure that I am listening to the concerns of all stakeholders in striving to achieve consensus. That is the North Star by which I will continue to serve as Chair/Facilitator of this Working Group.

One important point that I would like to remind everyone about is that this Working Group is NOT making any specific policy recommendations. What we are undertaking is a mostly factual exercise to scope the issue and report back to Council for them to determine whether there is a problem that needs to be addressed.  As it may not come as a surprise to many, there are some Working Group members that believe that there is no accuracy problem, whereas as others believe that there is a problem.  Our job is to document the facts that currently exists, and then provide a report to the GNSO Council by ICANN75 so that they can make a determination as to next steps.

Best regards,

Michael