[GNSO-Accuracy-ST] Potential Additional Questions to ICANN Org

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Fri Feb 25 05:23:50 UTC 2022

At 2022-02-24 05:11 PM, Michael Palage wrote:

>Hello Everyone,
>
>Over the past couple of weeks there has been a
>recurring theme in our calls and in some of the
>side discussions that I have had with some
>members regarding about how the potential lack
>of a Data Processing Agreement between ICANN Org
>and the Contracting Parties might negatively
>impact our future work and/or recommendations.
>
>Therefore I would like to propose to the group
>for their consideration the following additional
>questions that we may want to propose to ICANN Org as we continue our work:
>
>•     ;       “Is ICANN able to access
>registration data under the GDPR on the basis
>that it has a legitimate interest in checking
>the accuracy of the data?  Has ICANN ever
>received or plans to receive legal advice on this particular topic?

I vaguely recall that there was mention made of
ICANN Org requesting clarification from the EDPB
on whether such access was allowed (presuming
honouring of trans-border data issues).  So you
may wish to include a question about whether
ICANN Org has or plans to consult the EDPB.

>•            Does ICANN believe that the Data
>Protection Agreement between itself and the
>Contracted Parties is a necessary legal
>requirement for requesting and receiving this
>data, and if so for what legal reason?"

I would include any appliable joint-controller
agreements, as such an arrangement was one of the
underlying assumptions in thhe EPDP Phase 2 report (section 3.3).

Alan