[GNSO-Accuracy-ST] ICANN Org Memo on the WHOIS Accuracy Reporting System (ARS)

Volker Greimann volker.greimann at centralnic.com
Thu Jan 20 16:04:21 UTC 2022

Thank you, Brian. I for one never realized how much the ARS actually cost.
Seems to me we could already afford half an SSAD from what ICANN has saved
since the introduction of GDPR ;-)

Reading the report again, I note the immense positive impact on whois
accuracy the 2013 RRA had:
"

*Regarding findings of the reports, the ARS found in its Cycle 6 Report
(June 2018), for example, that approximately 94 percent of email addresses,
60 percent of telephone numbers, and 99percent of postal addresses were
found to be operable (e.g., accurate such that the email address or phone
numbers are operational) for all three contacts (administrative, technical,
andregistrant), according to the requirements of the 2013 RAA.*"

Susan and Alan will remember that we looked at that data with the Whois
review team as well and also noted the positive trend towards stronger
accuracy clearly visible by comparing successive Cycle results. While the
lack of data makes this difficult to prove, it stands to reason that this
trend has continued for the past four years, especially given the fact that
the data is now hidden by default and therefore a large part of the reason
why people would provide inaccurate data has fallen by the wayside (who in
their right mind would _want_ their phone number to be publicly
available?). We should also note that part of the reason why many phone
numbers were considered inaccurate was because they simply used the wrong
format as the domains were registered at a time when no format requirement
was in place and people just used their local way of writing phone numbers.

+49.555123456 would be correct, but: 0049(0)555123456, 0049-555123456 and
similar way of writing that very same number would not be even though these
are also commonly used methods to write a phone number.

--
Volker A. Greimann
General Counsel and Policy Manager

T: +49 6894 9396901
M: +49 6894 9396851
F: +49 6894 9396851
W: www.key-systems.net

Key-Systems GmbH is a company registered at the local court of
Saarbruecken, Germany with the registration no. HR B 18835
CEO: Oliver Fries and Robert Birkner

Part of the CentralNic Group PLC (LON: CNIC) a company registered in
England and Wales with company number 8576358.

This email and any files transmitted are confidential and intended only for
the person(s) directly addressed. If you are not the intended recipient,
any use, copying, transmission, distribution, or other forms of
dissemination is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in
error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete this
email with any files that may be attached.