[GNSO-Accuracy-ST] External Data Point on Accuracy

Sarah Wyld swyld at tucows.com
Thu Jun 30 17:59:49 UTC 2022

Hi Michael,

Thanks for sending that article over, I have a couple thoughts in response.

1. I would find this much more interesting if there were an explanation of what kinds of data verification/validation occurred since the project started in 2019; how did they identify that these domains were using false or incorrect data, and how do those techniques compare to current practices or the discussions held in this ST? Further, how does the .es registry define accurate data, does it match our working definition?

2. I'm not sure that we can come to any agreement of an acceptable number or percentage of domains with inaccurate data without also considering what data is included in that rate, and what the data is used for. Is an outdated fax number or incorrectly-entered zipcode as important a data point as a registrant's name or email address? Does the rate of accuracy for some data need to be higher than the rate of accuracy for other data? I don’t recall considering that as a team and I'm not sure that it appears in our Instruction #1 or #2.

I'm glad to know that this ccTLD is working on keeping their registry space up to date, but I'm not sure how to extend this to our work in a productive manner at this time.

Hope everyone enjoys their long weekends!

Thanks,

--
Sarah Wyld, CIPP/E

Policy & Privacy Manager