[Gnso-bylaws-dt] Timeline elements for Approval Actions

McAuley, David dmcauley at Verisign.com
Wed Aug 7 14:46:23 UTC 2019

Dear members of the drafting team:

As we work on guidelines that touch on approval actions and rejection actions I thought it would be useful to summarize the timelines provided for in the Bylaws, so we could have them easily at hand if needed.

Below are my notes on the approval action timeline considerations - I hope to separately send an email on rejection action considerations timelines but will probably not be able to do that today.

The bylaws are complicated - if anyone wants to do a double-check on these that would be welcome.

Best regards,

David

David McAuley

Sr International Policy & Business Development Manager

Verisign Inc.

703-948-4154

ICANN Bylaws Annex D - Approval Actions - timeline:

This involves approval of these items (as per Annex D, Section 1.1):

a.       Fundamental Bylaw Amendments, as contemplated by Section 25.2 of the Bylaws;

b.       Articles Amendments, as contemplated by Section 25.2 of the Bylaws; and

c.       Asset Sales, as contemplated by Article 26 of the Bylaws.

Approval process/timeline kicked off by an Approval Action Board Notice  (D: 1.2). Such notice must be provided (to EC Admin and Decisional Participants) by Board within 7 days after Board approval of a Fundamental Bylaw or Articles amendment  (Bylaw section 25.2(e)).

Approval Action Community Forum (D: 1.3):

a.      Convened and concluded within 30 days beginning on Approval Action Board Notification Date (date of delivery of Board Notice - see D: 1.2)) and ending on 30th date following that date. However, if requested by EC Administration, the forum shall take place at the next public ICANN meeting and end at 11:59 pm (city of ICANN meeting) on last day of ICANN public meeting.  (D: 1.3.c.)

Approval Action Decision Period for Decisional Participants (D: 1.4(a)):

a.      Following the AACF and ending on the 21st day after the expiration of the AACF Period each Decisional Participant shall inform the EC Administration in writing as to whether such DP (i) supports such Approval Action, (ii) objects to such Approval Action or (iii) abstains from the matter (which shall not count as supporting or objecting) and forward such notice to the Secretary for ICANN. If a DP does not so inform the EC Administration prior to the expiration of the AADP, the DP shall be deemed to have abstained (even if such DP informs the EC Administration following the expiration of the AADP).

Approval Action Decision (D: 1.4(b)):

   a.   EC Admin has to deliver written notice/certification of approval to Secretary within 24 hours of expiration of AADP or else FB/Articles amendment is null and void (see Bylaw section 25.2(g)).