[GNSO-Council-IDN-Scoping] [Ext] Re: GNSO - IDN Scoping Group

Steve Chan steve.chan at icann.org
Mon Jul 22 18:14:29 UTC 2019

Hi Dennis,

Just realized I neglected to respond to your note at the bottom of your message. First, as far as I understand, the EWG is not a defined mechanism in any ICANN documentation, but it has traditionally been utilized as an expertise-laden group that helps with laying the foundation ahead of potential policy development. I think why the idea of an EWG was even brought up is because of the emphasis on expertise, but the foundation seems to already be there for IDNs in this case, so from that perspective, an EWG might not be the most sensible option.

The PDP Manual (https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/file/field-file-attach/annex-2-pdp-manual-18jun18-en.pdf) provides a good deal of flexibility in charter drafting and composition of the WG, which could potentially include rules around membership (e.g., something other than open). Beyond the WG membership itself, the PDP Manual also notes that: “Once formed, the PDP Team is responsible for engaging in the collection of information. If deemed appropriate or helpful by the PDP Team, the PDP Team may solicit the opinions of outside advisors, experts, or other members of the public,” so the expertise of the WG membership can be supplemented with additional expertise.

Hope this is helpful.

Best,

Steve