[Gnso-dmpm-wg] [gnso-metrep-wg] A possible case study

Berry Cobb mail at berrycobb.com
Sun Apr 6 05:16:46 UTC 2014

Team,

While the concept of using baseline data to make better policy decisions before and after is relevant to our WG, I'd like to remind everyone that our scope is only within the GNSO (PDP, non-PDP).  As you will recall the 2013 RAA was a negotiation between Registrars and ICANN.  This should not prevent us from reviewing this as a use case, but likely any recommendations that extend beyond the GNSO will probably be considered out of scope.

As second note, there are a few WHOIS accuracy studies that may be useful in acting as a baseline, as well as, ICANN's Contractual Compliance utilizes a tool that tests for random validation.  Not having much familiarity with these, it is difficult to say they will be useful in the use case mentioned below, but it is a start.  Additionally, there are implementation activities regarding the WHOIS Review Team recommendations, one of which is an online accuracy reporting system.  It is out for public comment.

Lastly, a good chuck of our near-term work will be to research and analyze previous efforts as use cases for what may have worked and what didn't.  I will make sure this is added to the list.

Thank you.  B

Berry Cobb
720.839.5735
mail at berrycobb.com