[Gnso-epdp-idn-team] welcome & preparations for the IDN EPDP
Hamza O. Salami
hsalami at ncc.gov.ng
Wed Aug 4 08:52:59 UTC 2021
Good day all,
My name is Hamza Salami, a participant from the GAC. I work with the Nigerian Communications Commission, the national regulatory authority for the telecommunications industry in Nigeria.
Although I do not have expertise in IDNs, I am interested in them because they help promote a widespread use of the Internet.
I look forward to working with everyone.
From: Edmon Chung<mailto:edmon at registry.asia>
Sent: Friday, July 30, 2021 2:21 AM
To: gnso-epdp-idn-team at icann.org<mailto:gnso-epdp-idn-team at icann.org>
Subject: [Gnso-epdp-idn-team] welcome & preparations for the IDN EPDP
Dear EPDP Team members,
Welcome to the EPDP Team tasked with reviewing Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs). I'm looking forward to working with all of you on this EPDP. You should have received an invite for our first meeting, which is scheduled for Wednesday, 11 August 2021 at 14:00 UTC, though not ideal for some, we did want to get moving and in our first meeting we will identify our recurring date/time for our regular meetings going forward. In case you are unable to join the first meeting, please do let us know ahead of time your general preference for the day-of-week and times for meetings. I want to share a few notes in advance of our first meeting to help ensure that we can get through all of the start-up tasks for the Working Group in a timely manner.
In preparation for the first meeting, please take the time to begin familiarizing yourself with the following materials:
- IDN EPDP Charter <https://community.icann.org/display/epdpidn/2.+Charter>
- New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Final Report (Topic 25: Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) starting on page 114) <https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/file/field-file-attach/final-report-newgtld-subsequent-procedures-pdp-02feb21-en.pdf>
- IDN Variant TLD Implementation Staff Paper<https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/idn-variant-tld-implementation-2018-07-26-en>
- Recommendations for the Technical Utilization of the RZ-LGR<https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/rz-lgr-technical-utilization-recs-07oct19-en.pdf>
- Consensus Playbook<https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/file/field-file-attach/pdp-3-4-consensus-playbook-03jul20-en.pdf>
- GNSO Working Group Guidelines<https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/file/field-file-attach/annex-1-gnso-wg-guidelines-24oct19-en.pdf> & EPDP Manual <https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/file/field-file-attach/annex-4-epdp-manual-24oct19-en.pdf>
- GNSO IDNs EPDP Community Outreach Session at ICANN71, providing an introduction to the EPDP <https://71.schedule.icann.org/meetings/TZvWRhnydWDPSE64v>
By the second Working Group meeting, we should expect that everyone has carefully read all of these documents. Once you have completed your document review, please confirm here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfbXhd2L4oAb_Cn22FnjkSoDSj0K-HNcijDZDW_zpvseqXH8A/viewform?usp=sf_link>. The goal of this exercise is to ensure that everyone is starting off on the same page with the same foundation of information, which will enable us to be a more effective team. Leading up to and during that second meeting, please feel free to take the opportunity to ask clarifying questions upon reviewing the materials.
In addition, a comprehensive document library is included on the Working Group's workspace (see https://community.icann.org/display/epdpidn/3.+Background+Documents). An understanding of these documents, especially the Key Resources at the top of the page, will help to ensure your full and productive participation in Working Group deliberations. In reviewing the document library, if you believe any critical documents are missing, please let the ICANN staff team know.
The following items will be on the agenda for the first meeting:
- Welcome from the Chair
- Vice Chair: We have an opportunity to select one Vice Chair for this Working Group, but we are not required to do so.
- Charter: It would be helpful if everyone could read through the Charter<https://community.icann.org/display/epdpidn/2.+Charter> before the first call. We will briefly go over some key points and answer any questions that members have.
- Operating Mode/Working Methods: In our first meeting, we'll talk about some of the logistical elements of how we will work, including the decision-making process for this Working Group. We'll also review what is expected of those participating in this Working Group. From the outset, I would like to emphasize the importance of working towards developing consensus recommendations, which means working constructively and collaboratively to find outcomes that members can ultimately accept. To this end, the Consensus Playbook <https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/file/field-file-attach/pdp-3-4-consensus-playbook-03jul20-en.pdf> is among the resources that you are being asked to read by the second meeting. We'll be drawing on the methods and techniques in the playbook throughout the life of the EPDP, so everyone should be familiar with it.
- Work Plan: On our first call, we will have an opportunity to speak a bit about the Work Plan and what can be expected in our first weeks of work on this EPDP. As a preview, the initial areas of focus will be:
- High-level review of the topics within the Charter
- Prepare to request input from SO/AC/SG/Cs on topics in the Charter
- Deliver Work Plan to GNSO Council
- Meeting Frequency and Schedule: We'll have an opportunity to discuss the meeting frequency and the proposed day/time of the calls.
- Coordination with other community efforts on IDNs
As standard practice during the first meeting of a PDP/EPDP, members will generally do a round of verbal introductions so we can get to know each other.
Action Item: In this case, given that we have a bit of time until the first meeting, I would ask all of the Members to briefly (no more than a couple of paragraphs at most) send an email to the list, describing your relevant experience/background and any objectives you have for participating in this EPDP.
I look forward to seeing all of you on the call and hearing from you on the list.
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
Gnso-epdp-idn-team mailing list
Gnso-epdp-idn-team at icann.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Gnso-epdp-idn-team