[Gnso-epdp-idn-team] revisiting singular/plural confusion

Michael Bauland Michael.Bauland at knipp.de
Thu Dec 15 15:17:24 UTC 2022

Hi all,

I hope you don't mind, that I get back to the topic of singular/plural
from today's call. I don't think that these forms should automatically
be put into a contention set.

Sure, you could confuse the following two
* hotel
* hotels

And possibly also
* child
* children

But there are many more forms that are based on the same word and could
be confused, e.g. the existing
* vermögensberatung
* vermögensberater

When someone looks at a domain
myname.vermögensberatung
and remembers that and later gets sees the domain
myname.vermögensberater
they most likely would be confused and not realise it's a different
domain (I would be confused).

I don't see why singular/plural should get a special handling from other
changes to words. Either we set a general rule like "if words belong to
the same word stem, they *may* be put into a contention set, if they are
determined to be confusing" or we completely omit the singular/plural rule.

To me this is a half-hearted approach which is very English-centered,
where (almost) the only change to a noun is adding the plural S. In
other languages, there are much more very common changes that can happen
to a word. Take the Finnish word "talo" (meaning: house), you can have
talon, talot, taloa, taloon, talona, ...
All of these are different conjugated forms of the same word ... but
just "talot" is (nominative) plural and should be put into contention
with "talo", while all others are fine? Sorry, but that makes no sense
to me.

Finally, one reason against taking singular/plural into consideration is
the required effort to look up the plural forms of a word in all
languages. In Latin script alone there are hundreds of languages to
consider.

Best regards,

Michael

      |       |
      | knipp |            Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
       -------                    Technologiepark
                                  Martin-Schmeisser-Weg 9
                                  44227 Dortmund
                                  Germany

      Dipl.-Informatiker          Fon:    +49 231 9703-0
                                  Fax:    +49 231 9703-200
      Dr. Michael Bauland         SIP:    Michael.Bauland at knipp.de
      Software Development        E-mail: Michael.Bauland at knipp.de

                                  Register Court: