[Gnso-epdp-idn-team] Proposed Agenda - IDN EPDP Meeting #44 - Thursday 28 July 2022 at 13:30 UTC

Tan Tanaka, Dennis dtantanaka at verisign.com
Mon Jul 25 19:46:58 UTC 2022

A few additional comments on 2.3 re: use of “primary label”

  *   Some questions I reckon we will face throughout: what is the “primary” label? what function does it serve? should we use such nomenclature? … some background notes:
  *   When we talk about variants in a set, it is important to note which of all labels is the source for variant label calculation, or as we have adopted: the primary label. As a way of context, first, the variant relationship between two code points must satisfy the symmetrical property (there are other properties, but not relevant to this topic). This means, if ‘A’ is a variant of ‘B’, then ‘B’ is a variant of ‘A’. Second, any variant relationship is also assigned a disposition value: allocatable or blocked. The disposition value is unidirectional. Which means, a variant relationship could yield an ‘allocatable’ variant in one direction (e.g., A-->B: allocatable), but a ‘blocked’ variant in the other direction (e.g., B-->A: blocked). These rules are encoded in the LGR.
  *   As we progress in our deliberations about the lifecycle of gTLDs it is important to understand (and remember) how the various variant labels and disposition values came to be (to discern which ones are allocatable/withheld or blocked). However, I believe we need to remain open (or at least give thoughtful consideration) to cases where one TLD label in the set needs to be handled separately e.g., retirement, and the implications of this one change applies to the rest of the labels in the set. For instance, what if the registry operator wants to retire the “primary” label and continue to operate the rest of variants. In this case, it would be unwise, perhaps, to re-assign the attribute of “primary” to another label in the set, because that might change the profile of the set as a whole (of course, this would depend what “primary” means and how it is used).
  *   All I am saying is let’s be careful where and how we use the term “primary”. Perhaps this is a good test case for stress testing a la ccPDP4.

Best,
Dennis