[Gnso-epdp-idn-team] Draft Outcome: Charter Questions A5 & A6

Nigel Hickson nigel.hickson at dcms.gov.uk
Wed Mar 2 21:17:00 UTC 2022

Ariel cc as above

Good evening; thank you for the opportunity to input into this important
debate; and thank you for being flexible with the response deadline.

Would like, for GAC to endorse the draft responses to the Charter Questions
A5 and A6. Would make the following observations:

1). In general the GAC seeks, along with many others, an enhanced
opportunity for multilingualism on the Internet; and thus an IDN process
which, within technical constraints, is as flexible and attractive (to
vendors) as possible;
2). That while we should take note, and learn from all the excellent work
that has taken place previously, we should be innovative and ambitious in
our work to help enhance the adoption of IDNs;

*Specifically on A5: *

   - Completely agree we should not, in any sense, set arbitrary limits on
   variants; this would be very negative;
   - Agree that "Guidance" would, of course, be useful.

*Specifically on A6: *

   - It would be very negative indeed, as noted in the WG response, to have
   a situation where a varian is invalidated through no action on the
   applicant's behalf;
   - Ay potential issue, necessitating,  a change to RZ-LGR should be
   publicised well in advance with necessary information communicated  to all
   interested parties;
   - Completely agree that grandfathering has to apply.

many regards

Nigel