[Gnso-epdp-idn-team] Reminder: Updated Recommendation Text for IDN Table Harmonization, Domain Name Query & IDN Implementation Guidelines

Michael Bauland Michael.Bauland at knipp.de
Mon Mar 4 13:55:39 UTC 2024

Hi Saewon,

thank you for your e-mail.

I just reviewed the text and I found one issue, that I didn't think of
before (sorry for commenting this so late).

Regarding Rec 12 about RDDS responses, we write:

"This desired scenario applies to the returned response to a query for
both an allocated domain name and an unallocated domain name."

I added a comment in the document stating:
The answer when querying unallocated domain names can only be provided
by Registries, but not by Registrars. In order to find out, whether a
non-existing domain belongs to an existing variant set, the (2nd level)
IDN table rules need to be consulted. These rules, however, are not
available to registrars, but only to registries.

Hence, it's nearly impossible for registrars to provide this
information. I thus suggest for registrars to only require returning
data when *existing" domain names are queried.

Cheers,

Michael

      |       |
      | knipp |            Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
       -------                    Technologiepark
                                  Martin-Schmeisser-Weg 9
                                  44227 Dortmund
                                  Germany

      Dipl.-Informatiker          Fon:    +49 231 9703-0
                                  Fax:    +49 231 9703-200
      Dr. Michael Bauland         SIP:    Michael.Bauland at knipp.de
      Software Development        E-mail: Michael.Bauland at knipp.de

                                  Register Court: