[Gnso-epdp-idn-team] Draft Text For EPDP Team Review - IDN Table Harmonization

Steve Chan steve.chan at icann.org
Thu Mar 28 00:07:41 UTC 2024

Dear EPDP Team Members,

I have some good news! The RySG members of this group and ICANN org worked together and reached alignment on recommendation/implementation guidance language related to IDN table harmonization. While there was no disagreement on requiring a consistent variant domain set across a gTLD and its gTLD variant labels (see Preliminary Recommendation 5), there however was not yet alignment on the need for establishing minimum deployment requirements as an element of IDN table harmonization (see charter question C5).

As a result of that alignment, the RySG members drafted Preliminary Recommendation 6 and Implementation Guidance 7, which you can find on page 8 of the working document here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/129tAjA3uQxK2xbJK4F1EAHtPvbh3Qa3Kqf6vE-JspbY/edit. Please note, the leadership team and staff have applied a handful of suggested changes to the RySG members’ language, with the intention to have them follow some general best practices for PDP recommendations/implementation guidance. For instance, you will see “should” has been replaced with “must” in the recommendation. And for the implementation guidance, we are suggesting that it be less prescriptive (i.e., removing the specific reference to a working party), and simply state that the various parties work together to develop the minimum IDN variant deployment requirements. On pages 8-9, we have proposed the accompanying rationale language.

Additionally, we have prepared draft language for the table related to the deferred guidelines from the IDN Implementation Guidelines v4.0. While the table has already been shared with all of you, there is new text on pages 7-8: https://docs.google.com/document/d/15ge2e7KHzN3DQIxe4D1OnsiTaMbNaUuv26stqSnzgTc/edit

We would appreciate your review of these two documents, just focusing on the new content. We believe this is the final substantive missing piece standing in the way of publishing the Phase 2 Initial Report for public comment. If you have any questions, or more importantly, any concerns that would prevent the inclusion of this language in the initial report as drafter, please share on list no later 2 April 2024.

Concurrently, your staff team is also working on all other elements of the Phase 2 Initial Report. We intend to share that document in its entirety on 3 April 2024, allow approximately a week for EPDP Team review, then publish for public comment on 11 April 2024.

Exciting times! Congratulations everyone for reaching this point in the process!

Best,
Saewon, Dan, Ariel, and Steve

Steven Chan

VP, Policy Development Support & GNSO Relations

12025 Waterfront Drive, Suite 300
Los Angeles, CA 90094-2536

Email: steve.chan at icann.org<mailto:steve.chan at icann.org>
Skype: steve.chan55
Mobile: +1.310.339.4410

Find out more about the GNSO by visiting: https://learn.icann.org/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__learn.icann.org_&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=jLNFXvpu9gNdUeHi-G6sjWNCF9w4_AwhzzUDFZy2elE&s=o7Auz997kA-HPv9PHJCjFVZw7Pgo8krw4MxfqCwBrIU&e=>
Follow @GNSO on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ICANN_GNSO<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__twitter.com_ICANN-5FGNSO&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=jLNFXvpu9gNdUeHi-G6sjWNCF9w4_AwhzzUDFZy2elE&s=kWw4fQPNjw2lVKy1UjTxS2F0BmjEAzaDFWNmsYywbmE&e=>
Transcripts and recordings of GNSO Working Group and Council events are located on the GNSO Master Calendar <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__gnso.icann.org_en_group-2Dactivities_calendar&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=jLNFXvpu9gNdUeHi-G6sjWNCF9w4_AwhzzUDFZy2elE&s=-L6chFfv0OperrXHHpTF722WnH3FZIutn4cS16IvpOg&e=>