[Gnso-epdp-legal] Proposed agenda - EPDP Phase 2 Legal Committee Meeting #4

Tara Whalen tjwhalen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 15:36:03 UTC 2019

Thanks, Hadia.

>From the SSAC side, we're trying to work out how to best ask questions
about automation as well; some of this seems to be in Q9 but also in Q11. I
know there is re-drafting underway so there may be some places where items
shift from one Q to the other.

Q11 -- in the agenda version -- includes the text "would any automated
disclosure carry a potential for liability of the disclosing party, or the
controllers or processors of such data?" As many folks mentioned today, we
can't really eliminate liability, but we may wish for automation not to
unduly *increase* it.  Instead, the question should  be about  *how to
satisfy the GDPR’s balancing test* aka how to comply with the law, hence
getting legal advice from the experts. A compliant solution is key for
mitigating risk and everybody--including the contracted parties, of
course--has to operate within the legal requirements.

There are a few threads in Q11 that could be teased apart -- some might end
up in other questions, of course, and these don't have to appear as-is
below, or in their own separate sub-points. But there are some elements
worth making explicit.

Overall, it looks like this question is asking:

   - is any automated decision-making possible in this area?  If so, under
   what conditions and considerations?

Likely that is not concise enough for a B&B question but it seemed to me to
be what we're trying to get at, so might help as a basic guide to our final
draft.

As discussed today about the trusted third parties and their requests: what
if there are routine and definable situations -- could those be automated,
under limited circumstances?

   - Is it is possible to define specific situations in which a legitimate
   third-party interest overrides the interests or fundamental rights and
   freedoms of a data subject? In such cases, the legitimate interest would be
   defined and stated, the requesting party and the data controller would have
   a common understanding of the necessity of the processing, and the
   receiving third party would be subject to safeguards.

This next item may be included in Q9? On the call, there was the
clarification about large numbers of requests (as key difference between Q9
and Q11), which might not yet be explicit in the text:

   - Can a data controller rely on advice or assertions that come from a
   qualified and trusted third party in order to help satisfy 6(f)’s balancing
   test?  If it is possible, then what are the considerations?  What if any
   legal agreements need to be place? If this is not possible, why not?

Q9 is going to further address safeguards, I believe; I will review the
updated text.

Also, one much more specific element: about disclosure in situations
involving fraud + criminal activity cases, as described in the WG use cases
under review in the EPDP discussions:

   - Does GDPR prohibit third parties from reporting criminal activities
   discerned via their requests to law enforcement authorities?  Does GDPR
   provide for exemptions that prevent [suspected/accused] registrants from
   being informed of relevant data requests in criminal investigations?

---
That's a lot of text, I know, but I hope that's clearer than trying to hash
it out verbally on the phone call. Thanks for all your hard drafting work
so far; we're getting a lot closer to the goal! --TW