[Gnso-epdp-legal] EPDP - Additional Legal Issues (with attachment)

Kurt Pritz kurt at kjpritz.com
Sat Feb 16 22:55:26 UTC 2019

Dear Ruth and Gabe:

On behalf of the EPDP Legal Team, I hope this letter finds you both well. I am writing for two reasons.

1. City Name Memorandum.

We found your memo (analysis and conclusions) to be clear. Please take this letter as authorization to continue the research and analysis as indicated in Sections 3.16-3.18 of your memorandum on this topic.

Please let us know if you require an additional consultation before starting this effort.

2. Additional question: “Thick Whois"

The question has to do with the current “Thick Whois” Policy.

Assuming that:
ICANN adopts all of the “purposes" identified in the EPDP current draft version of Recommendation 1,  [see below for reference to those purposes for processing registration data], which addresses processing for the benefit of registries, registrars, ICANN, and third parties, as part of a future Consensus Policy that updates the WHOIS policy to address GDPR concerns
These purposes become incorporated into the relevant registrar and registry agreements with ICANN
There is a prior consensus policy calling for THICK WHOIS that was adopted by the ICANN Board following the Bylaws, that requires the transfer of the WHOIS contact data from the registrars to the registries for reasons that are identified in the Final Report, including ICANN mission related, “substantial benefits from mandating thick instead of thin Whois, including enhanced accessibility and enhanced stability."
Question:  Is there a legal basis under GDPR for a Controller or Processor to justify a transfer of data  elements from registrars to registries to enable the processing called for in these purposes even though the processing  and transfer of data may be to enable processing for the benefit of 3rd parties? I.e., should the resulting policy from the EPDP would continue the requirement for Thick WHOIS?

For supporting your work on this question, please take note of the  Thick Whois Final Report <https://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/whois/thick-final-21oct13-en.pdf> (https://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/whois/thick-final-21oct13-en.pdf <https://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/whois/thick-final-21oct13-en.pdf>) that describes the policy reasons for the recommendations. See also, https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/thick-whois-2016-06-27-en <https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/thick-whois-2016-06-27-en>.

If you believe that a portion of the meeting records might be helpful to understand the rationale behind the policy recommendations, ICANN will be able to help you with that research.

The current version of the EPDP report is attached and lists the purposes for processing registration data: see page 5, Section 2.1, Recommendation 1.

In discussion this issue among the Team we believe that, because of its complexity, there will be some iteration between the EPDP Legal Team and Bird and Bird before a final memo is delivered. Therefore, please feel free to contact us at any point during your research and analysis.

Final note: Please take note that your input ion these issues will affect Phase 2 or implementation discussions and are not on the critical path for the Final Report on Phase 1 of the EPDP. So while timely input is requested, we are not working against a hard and immediate deadline.

Best regards,

Kurt