[Gnso-epdp-legal] Outstanding action items reminder

King, Brian Brian.King at markmonitor.com
Mon Oct 14 20:14:22 UTC 2019

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for sending this well-reasoned and persuasive outline. I agree that we should not ask Bird & Bird for legal advice on this, at least without first considering further input to allow us to raise a better/different question. It seems clear to me that B&B’s advice will track your outline very closely, and will likely arrive at the same conclusion.

I do admit I have trouble abandoning the concept of public interest for a couple reasons below:

  1.  Common sense: ICANN acts in the public interest (in the plain meaning of the term) in coordinating the DNS.
     *   ICANN is a nonprofit public benefit corporation.
     *   There are no clear pecuniary or other benefits to ICANN itself to coordinating the global DNS, including operating an SSAD.
     *   This could be the definition intended by the EC in its letter to ICANN, but I’m not sure.

  1.  GDPR assumes that WHOIS-type registers will be covered by law.
     *   Recital 73 is on point, referring to “the keeping of public registers kept for reasons of general public interest” (e.g. land or TM ownership registers, I assume)
     *   Recital 111 is on point, stating that “provisions should be made” for the transfer of data “necessary in relation to a contract or a legal claim” or “from a register established by law and intended for consultation by the public or persons having a legitimate interest.”
     *   Providing WHOIS for .eu domain names is established under EU law (https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?qid=1571074502391&uri=CELEX:32019R0517 Article 12), and under national law of many member states for their own ccTLDs (e.g. https://www.dk-hostmaster.dk/en/danish-act-internet-domains).
     *   Piecing these breadcrumbs together, it appears that GDPR assumes that these registers operate in the public interest, and that they will be established under EU or member state law. The problem with this assumption is that it’s inapplicable to the DNS. ICANN does not coordinate the DNS because it’s been established to do so under EU law, and ICANN does not require legislative endorsement by the EU in order to operate an SSAD.

The outstanding question about this “public interest” concept, in my mind at least, is perhaps more for the DPAs than for Bird & Bird: are we to understand that although ICANN acts in the public interest, as noted by the European Commission<https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/comments-epdp-recs-04mar19/attachments/20190417/6f0a65b2/CommentsontheTemporarySpecificationforgTLDRegistrationDataPolicyRecommendations-0001.pdf>, ICANN couldn’t rely on 6.1.e grounds to ensure the security, stability and resilience of the DNS (as European ccTLDs do<https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?qid=1571074502391&uri=CELEX:32019R0517>) merely because ICANN’s coordination of gTLDs is not established under EU law? Alternatively, is the concept of WHOIS, which is established in EU and member state law, naturally extended to ICANN’s coordination of gTLDs, perhaps due to their global nature? If so, what further “provisions should be made” beyond the EC’s aforementioned letter, to establish this?

Perhaps the Strawberry Team or someone else could put this concept to the DPAs with a request for insight. What does the legal team think?

Brian J. King
Director of Internet Policy and Industry Affairs

T +1 443 761 3726
markmonitor.com<http://www.markmonitor.com>

MarkMonitor
Protecting companies and consumers in a digital world