[Gnso-epdp-legal] Request for Brief Dialogue with Bird & Bird

King, Brian Brian.King at markmonitor.com
Wed Apr 1 15:13:34 UTC 2020

Thank you Becky and Volker for those helpful perspectives. I appreciate the need for transparency, and that there are likely differences of opinion within the legal team.

In “the real world” practice of law, the concept of not speaking with outside counsel about a question asked of them would be quite a bizarre scenario. Simply informing them of why we are asking the question could be of great value to how they think about the problem we need help in solving.

The first example that comes to mind is Section 1.12 of the memo on Automation, which appears to provide an elegantly simple way to ensure the processing is not automated and therefore not subject to Article 22. If Bird & Bird had a bit more information on what we were trying to accomplish, I can’t help but think they would have elaborated on this section and provided further guidance on how best to ensure the model we’re considering does not invoke Article 22 in the first place.

We cannot assume Bird & Bird has been following our work very closely, if at all, especially since the legal committee decided not to send them any sections of the Initial Report for their thoughts. I’ll understand if the legal committee thinks we have the time and resources remaining to engage in further written back-and-forth, but I submit that a 30- or 60-minute phone call would be far more efficient.

Brian J. King
Director of Internet Policy and Industry Affairs

T +1 443 761 3726
markmonitor.com<http://www.markmonitor.com>

MarkMonitor
Protecting companies and consumers in a digital world