[Gnso-epdp-legal] definitions

Crossman, Matthew mmcross at amazon.com
Fri Feb 19 05:59:08 UTC 2021

Hi everyone,

I’m having trouble understanding the “which is intended to be anonymous data when processed by non-contracted parties” revision. I thought we agreed (based on the legal advice already received from Bird & Bird) that because a link is maintained between the email address and the data subject, this does not meet the legal definition of anonymous data even from the perspective of a third party (“Looking at the "reasonably likely means" test, as interpreted in Breyer, the data would still seem to be personal from the perspective of a third party.  This is particularly the case since the third parties will use the masked e-mail address to contact the data subject, and/or (in option (a)) to find other domain names associated with that data subject (see also Nowak's reference to data being considered "related to" a particular data subject by reason of its "purpose or effect"). This seems like we are introducing a concept that the legal advice has already opined is likely not possible, which I’m afraid may lead to further confusion in the plenary. I would be fine mirroring the language in the first revision (pseudonymous rather than anonymous) as I think that more accurately captures the status of that data.

Let me know if I’m misunderstanding the purpose of that revision.

Thanks,
Matt