[Gnso-epdp-team] Rafik as Vice-Chair

Stephanie Perrin stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
Sat Aug 4 09:36:31 UTC 2018

I actually think we can relax about the apparent conflicts here.
Firstly, as has been pointed out, Rafik is running for GNSO Council, as
an NCSG representative, but not the head of NCSG.

Secondly, of all the people I have met at ICANN who are capable of being
neutral (hard to find regarding WHOIS, as previously discussed on
council with respect to the potential Chair of this EPDP), Rafik is
exemplary.  He takes that duty very seriously.  I think you may depend
on him to step aside if there is any conflict in the matter of the
Liaison acting as intermediary in leadership complaints.

Thirdly, in the matter of the overcoming conflicts or impasses within
the work team. Let us be frank here.  There is no one who has the
experience in ICANN who is perfectly neutral.  A leadership position on
this or any other GNSO PDP requires neutrality, putting on the hat of
the Chair (or, in this case, Vice-Chair) and refraining from offering
personal opinions, commentary on the opinions of others, or stakeholder
positions.  I can think of some excellent examples of Chairmanship and
Vice-Chairmanship (Steve Metalitz as Vice-Chair of the Privacy/Proxy
Services Accreditation Issues PDP for instance, or Heather Forrest as
current Chair of the GNSO).  To suggest that members of the NCSG are not
capable of setting aside our own goals and key positions in a similar
way is inappropriate.

Kind regards,

Stephanie Perrin