[Gnso-epdp-team] Slicing and dicing

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Thu Aug 30 12:38:11 UTC 2018

Alan,
Your comment completely misses the point Thomas is making, which is a valid one. Let me make the logic clearer to you:

1. If the purpose of Whois is what 4.4.8 says it is, it would justify collecting payment data, because that would "support" investigators
2. Whois does not and has never included payment data
3. Ergo, 4.4.8 is not an accurate statement of Whois purpose.

Do you get it now?

Let me say in general terms that you do _not_ justify an overly broad statement of purpose by saying, "oh we've never collected that data before." If the overly broad statement of purpose is incorporated into an ICANN policy, we might very well be collecting that data next year, or the year after that.

--MM