[Gnso-epdp-team] Additional Information - Accuracy

Kurt Pritz kurt at kjpritz.com
Fri Dec 14 20:56:20 UTC 2018

Hi Everyone:

This email covers:

1) Why I think that, generally, Whois accuracy is not within the scope of this EPDP
2) Why we should have an accuracy discussion anyway — for pragmatic reasons and how it might fit into the scope
3) What the bounds of that discussion should be
4) (Thinking in a glass half-full way) what the outcome might be

One. Not in scope.

While it is difficult to prove the “null set,” i.e., prove that a topic is not included in our scope, there are indications and assumptions indicating that Whois accuracy is not within our scope.

There are no Charter questions with respect to Whois accuracy. The GNSO Counsel poses fifty-some-odd questions, delving into every detail of the Temporary Specification and does not ask about accuracy. The words accurate and accuracy do not appear in the Charter, which is our only scoping document and statement of requirements.

The Temp Spec itself mentions accuracy. First with regards to ICANN’s Bylaws and mission to maintain and improve Whois accuracy. However, those requirements pre-date and survive GDPR and are not affected by GDPR. These objectives are addressed through other policies and the regular negotiations between ICANN and contracted parties. These efforts are ongoing and not affected by 25 May.

The other reference to accuracy in the Temp Spec is in the paraphrasing of the GDPR to maintain accurate and up-to-date data. The ICO states that "the main difference in practice [between the 1988 Act and the GDPR] is that individuals have a stronger right to have inaccurate personal data corrected under the right to rectification.” These and other statements lead one to believe that by accuracy, the GDPR requirement for accuracy is data subject focused, that the processor must accurately report data and updates to data made by the data subject.

There are other indications that accuracy is not in our scope but, as I said above, it is difficult to prove the null set and one can always point the word ‘accurate” in the GDPR>

Two. We should discuss accuracy.

From a pragmatic standpoint, we should have a Whois accuracy discussion rather than:
1) talk about whether we should have it, or
2) having to explain to the Council and others why we are not having it

It is a better strategic approach for our group to hear proposals rather than not or rather than to discuss whether to hear them.

In addition, Alan Greenberg said in his email that the proposals about Whois accuracy are straightforward and high-level and (in my interpretation) referred to it being a “purpose for processing registration data.” One way for the discussion to come within scope, is that it would be under the rubric of a new purpose.

In any case, if we stick to the “solution space” in our discussion, we might find a mutually agreeable accommodation. If not, I understand that we might have spent some non-value-added time, but, out of respect for some of our team members, I am willing to spend some time to consider targeted proposals.

Three. Bounded discussion.

First here is what our discussion should not be about:

1) Our discussion should not be about whether to discuss accuracy.

2) A specific new contractual requirement for registrars to implement in order to improve accuracy that would win control of the group.

	a. The current contractual requirements seem to address the key GDPR aspects. The GDPR call for keeping information current is addressed via the ICANN has the Whois Reminder Policy. Other contractual obligations require registrars to investigate reports of inaccuracies and to update data in a timely but careful manner as required by GDPR.

	b. If other specific accuracy measures are sought, I know from personal experience that those discussions are detailed and take significant time as their is operational nuance and unintended effects that must be taken into account. I do not think it is for us to have that discussion.

	c. We are probably on the wrong side of the picket fence to have that discussion.

The discussion could be about providing the right level of information to ICANN community-developed programs to assess Whois accuracy providing there is a lawful basis for such a disclosure.

Four: Proposal

My thinking is (as I have written in an earlier email) that the ARS project (where ARS stands for something having to do with data accuracy) could be included in the Purpose O that has been discussed - a data disclosure to ICANN for research purposes. Alan’s recent email indicated that ARS applies to only new registrations and other programs might be useful in measuring existing registrations. In this case, Purpose O could contain language that would allow disclosure of data to ICANN for programs that pass the lawful basis test.

(Remember, we are still waiting for ICANN to aver that Purpose O is necessary and desired for the organization to accomplish its mission before we consider it further.)

This use of data might fall under Purpose B but, because ICANN is not a typical third-part, it might make sense to create this Purpose O and include ARS-type studies. In either case, each disclosure would have to pass the lawful basis test.

Thanks for reading all that. I hope it is helpful toward you thinking.

Best regards,

Kurt